October 21, 2012

How to make a "Face in the hole" stand

So I just wrapped up a very big event at the organization I work at. I am excited to report that it went very well and many families had a great time. This year I had an idea to create a "face in the hole" for kids to pose behind. This is something that the organization can use for many years for this annual fall event.

What's a "face in the hole"? Here are some examples:






So I got to work sketching out a design. I decided to make one with two face cut outs so two children can stand behind it. I wanted to include elements of our location including our iconic barn and the name of the organization. I needed some help with the wood work so I had my dad donate his wonderful time and skills on this. First, we got a 4' X 4' piece of plywood. My dad primed it with leftover paint and I sketched out the design onto the wood. Then my dad went to work on cutting out the upper outline so it blends more into the background. He also cut out the holes for the faces.


How did I figure out the face hole sizes? We actually took an old Halloween mask and measured around it to figure out the hole sizes.


Make sure you sand the face cut outs really well so there are no splinters. My dad used a sander and then manually sanded the rest. After that I got to work on sketching and painting the design. My advice would be to make it more "cartoonish." It's a fun thing for families to pose behind so they want it to be a bit sillier. Here are the pictures of the progress as I painted. I used acrylic wood paint and then sprayed it with an indoor/ outdoor finish to seal and protect it.



After it was all completed, we attached it to a stand raising it about one foot. If anyone is interested in the design, let me know and I will get it from my dad but I know its pretty standard. Here are two of my coworkers posing behind it.


I am so happy with it. It will be a lot of fun for families to use when they visit our site.

Have you done any fun crafts lately? We carved our pumpkins this weekend for our annual carving party... but I will talk more about that this week.

7 comments:

  1. Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak;
    courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. See the link below for more info.


    #stand
    www.ufgop.org


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Loved your post! We are interested in making our own face in hole stand. Could you please ask your dad to send us instructions on how to make the stand portion? Any other general tips would be great!

    Thanks,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you post a picture of the stand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you please describe the layout of the stand?

    Thank you,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you make the stand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to ask my dad for dimensions and take a picture of the stand. It will probably be in the next week or so. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Hey everyone!! I'm going to try and get the dimensions from my dad and also take a picture of the stand so you have a better idea of how it works and post an update in the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...