April 10, 2012

Strawberry Cream Cheese Cupcakes

No folks. This isn't a guest post. It's all me.

That's right. I baked cupcakes and even made the icing. Don't get too excited. The cupcakes were from a box but a few exra steps made this box recipe a little more special.


I took the cupcake recipe from bettycrocker.com. I did decide to make my own icing though. But let's get started. Round up the ingredients.


1  box SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
2/3 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
3 tablespoons strawberry preserves
1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, cut into 24 pieces
Cream Cheese frosting (in this case homemade)
Sliced fresh small strawberries, if desired

Step 1: Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. In large bowl, mix cake mix, water, sour cream, oil and eggs with spoon until well blended. This is going to be thick so don't worry.
Step 2: Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Place 1 piece of cream cheese on top of each cupcake; press into batter slightly. The directions say to "Spoon 1/4 measuring teaspoon preserves on top of cream cheese in each cupcake" but I eye balled it since preserves are hard to get off a small measuring spoon.
Step 3: Bake 20 to 25 minutes (or 18 minutes in my hot gas oven) or until tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly in center.

While they cool you can start making the cream cheese frosting or go catch up on the latest Glee. (or both) This slightly lighter frosting is delicious and it was a bit tricky.

Light Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8oz package cream cheese (1/3 less fat)
1 tbsp light butter
1 lb. powdered sugar (sifted)
1 tsp vanilla

Step 1: whisk the cream cheese and butter at high speed until well mixed.


Step 2: This was tricky for me without a sifter but mix the sifted powdered sugar on high until it thickens.

That's it! So simple. I never realized it was that easy. I did make a bit of a mess before I realized I should cover the mixer.

Then ice the cupcakes. Lets take a look at how yummy they look.


I topped them with slices of strawberries right before serving them so the juices don't run over them. They were really yummy. Sorry for not snapping any pictures but trust me. If I can make them, you can make them.
As for the nutrition info, they are not the healthiest but they could be worse. One cupcake is 200 calories. So enjoy...and then take a walk around the block. :)
Anyone have a yummy cupcake recipe that I can tackle?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you!! I just made my own icing for the first time too when I did the Irish Car Bomb cupcakes - it's surprisingly easy!! These look delicious - way to go!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...