January 20, 2012

I may not be a baker, but my friend is!

We all know by now that I am trying to teach myself how to bake. I am slowly getting there but it is an uphill battle. Luckily I have an awesome friend that is a wonderful baker.



Jonelle has been giving me baking tips and inspiration over the years and I asked her to write a guest blog post on a new dessert she tried out and it looks and sounds delicious! Not only did she give me a recipe and pictures but she also put in some tips along the way. Hope you all try it out. I know I am going to.

This was a first time recipe for me - something new i wanted to try and figured this would be a good time to try it.  I think I pinned this on Pinterest back when I was preggo and was obsessed with smores.  It was definitely worth while - we have been enjoying them!

S'mores Cookies Recipe
Ingredients you will need:
11 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 ½ cups flour
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used a little more than this)
1 cup mini marshmallows
2-3 regular sized Hershey’s bars, broken into pieces (depends on how many graham crackers you use)
2-3 sleeves graham crackers, broken into squares


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. I used one 11x17 pan but you can really use any sized pans you want – it all depends on how many graham crackers you use.



Lay out graham crackers side by side on the pans as close as possible (they should be touching). I ended up with 28 graham cracker squares – they all fit on one baking sheet. You may have to add or remove graham crackers according to how much dough you have. If you want your cookies thicker you will use more dough and less graham crackers. My cookies ended up being on the thicker side (which was totally fine by me).


In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, sea salt and cinnamon to combine. Set aside.
(Side Note: When I make these cookies again, I will most likely omit the cinnamon. I just wasn’t my preference. You can make it once with the cinnamon and make your own decision about it)


Baking Tip: When I am baking and measuring flour, I always measure it out the same way. I always scoop out the flour into a measuring cup and tap it a little with a butter knife – that way the flour really fills out the entire cup. Then I sweep away the excess flour with the back of a butter knife to get a nice, even and accurate flour measurement.


In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter with white and brown sugar until light and fluffy.


Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.



Add the flour mixture to the butter mixer and combine on low speed so flour doesn’t go flying all over your kitchen.


Fold in the chocolate chips and marshmallows. Chill dough in refrigerator for about one hour to set.



Place heaping tablespoons of dough on graham crackers about 1 – 1 ½ inches apart. I averaged about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough per graham cracker square as seen in the picture below.



Press down slightly with fingertips.

Bake for 5 minutes then remove from oven to press Hershey’s bar pieces on to the top. You can place as many pieces or as little as you want, depending how much chocolate flavor you want. I just used one Hershey bar piece per cookie and found that it was plenty. Feel free to use as many as you want! Please ignore my slight OCD when it came to arranging the Hershey’s bars on my cookies.


Bake for 5-7 more minutes, or until the dough begins to turn golden brown at the edges. If you made thicker cookies, you will need to keep them in the oven a little longer. I ended up keeping mine in there about 8-9 minutes after I put the Hershey’s bars on.


Remove to a wire rack to cool. For clean cutting make sure cookies are completely cool and cut with a sharp knife. I personally didn’t cut mine with a knife – I just broke apart the pieces for a rougher look. Enjoy!!


Wow! I think I would be willing to run an extra mile or two to enjoy these bad boys. They look so good. Thanks for the awesome recipe breakdown and tips Jonelle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...