February 20, 2012

The Auction and a Mummer

Thanks for being patient. To be honest, I am still trying to fight off a whirlwind cold and I was not really up to posting last night. But today is a new day. The sun is shining! I may be coughing still but something about a sunny, cloudless day helps. Anywho....Friday was the Drexel AAGA Art Auction. Its a great event where local students, organizations and artists donate their work or entertainment to send Arts Administration Students to Arts Advocacy Day in Washington, DC. I participated a few years ago when I was a student and although speaking to an elective official can get intimidating, it was a great experience that helped me appreciate the arts in our society even more.

I was a bit of a failure and did not take many pictures of the auction so I borrowed a few from my friend's facebook pages. Thanks Amy and Jen! The auction was held at the Papadakis Drexel building. It was a very large space that had a very impressive "green wall." It was much more impressive in person but it had water flowing throughout it and some amazing plant colors.

The art was very different and ranged from modern to classic to oils or charcoal. It even had a mummers costume. (More on that to come)


I wish I had the artists names of the pieces below but sadly I don't.

Even the Artistic Rebuttal Project was there to show its support and spread the word on their great cause.


Did you notice me in the picture? How about Tim? haha

Our family and some of our close friends came out as well to support my cause. I really appreciate their support in coming out every year even though they don't come from an art background. They bid generously and I can't say how much it means to me that they would come out to support me. It means so much. Don't worry- they make sure they have a good time. Which leads me to the most interesting part of the event. Remember the mummer costume in the earlier pics?

 That is an original 2011 Mummers Day Parade Costume up for auction. It was so pretty and colorful. When my brother in law Greg saw it, he knew it would be a perfect fit for Tim. A certain amount of money later and he won it. The deal I didn't know about was that Tim agreed that if Greg won it, he would wear it...that night! And I have to admit, he looked great! It was a great way to end the event and everyone had a blast posing with him. (even me)

that's Tim with our friend, Fred. Notice the hand Fred is holding is not Tim's hand but the costume.

Have you ever been to an art auction? Get any good stuff?  We walked away with a pillow and we won two awesome raffle baskets with tickets to shows. I just realized some people may not even know what a Mummer is. More on them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...