February 1, 2012

Grandma's meatballs with a healthy twist

*I have to say that this weather is crazy! It is already over 50 degrees here. It is going to hit the 60s. It is February 1st in Philly- right?!*

In my very first post I introduced you all to my Grandma Caroline.



I have her to thank for my awesome eyebrow arches (its more awesome than you realize) and my strong healthy nails (also another trait that I now have come to really appreciate). She is the reason that I love cooking anything Italian....or just anything in general really. She has always supported me no matter what. She even tried to teach me patience but that is an uphill battle.



Over the last couple of years she has taken a well deserved break from cooking but when I was growing up I remember staying in the kitchen while she would cook all day on Sunday. When she went into the dining room to set the table I always snuck a piece of Italian bread in her gravy. (Italian's way of saying sauce)  I am still grateful for my childhood metabolism otherwise I would have been a million pounds after visiting her. Her food wasn't always figure friendly but I have tried to make small tweaks so that its a little better for you. But enough strolling down memory lane, lets get down to the food.

These are my grandma's meatballs (tweaked). Dont worry-For all of you that want to go full force Italian, I will also put what my g-man usually uses. Now-grab all your ingredients.


1 pound of 93/7 Ground Turkey (or 1 lb. of mixed veal, pork, beef)
2 large eggs
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 slices of stale smart white bread (or Italian bread)
a splash of red wine
1 or 2 tsp of locatelli cheese
parsley, basil, salt and pepper (to taste)
*not pictured* healthy chicken broth (or regular chicken broth)

First step is to toast the bread if you don't have stale bread. Then break it apart and soak it in a little bit of chicken broth. Just enough to get wet but not drenched.


Then mix all ingredients in a large bowl.


Mix well. I use my hands but you can use a fork if you want. Next heat a large skillet. I used healthy cooking spray but you can use oil. While it is heating start forming the meat into balls to brown in the skillet.


Will you look at that demonstration technique. I am a natural Vanna White. I muse have missed my calling. :)


After they have browned, place in your favorite sauce (I use my grandma's recipe but I'm not quite sure if I'm ready to give that one up yet), cover and simmer for at least 45-60 minutes. After that, they are good to go.



Yum! I love them and so does Tim. We worked out the healthier recipe and if you make 16 meatballs the calories come out to 70 per meatball. Not too bad for the size of them. They are so filling too.

So try it out and let me know how it goes! Have you made over any recipes so they are a little easier on the waistline. I have made that my latest mission in the steps towards being healthier.

1 comment:

  1. I am totally going to be trying this! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...