February 28, 2012

Healthy Chicken Marsala

Eating healthy is difficult for foodies like Tim and I. We appreciate a delicious well made meal. So when we are at home and trying to watch our weight we are faced with the challenge of trying to figure out how to make recipes healthier. So when I saw Hungry Girl's chicken marsala recipe I knew that I could work that so it would make sense for us. Bring on the ingredients:


*we doubled the sauce in this recipe so we would have enough for us so if you don't need as much, divide it*

2 tbsp. Unsalted butter
1 c. Fat Free Chicken Broth (I get Fit & Active from Aldi)
1/2 tsp. Basil
 1 c. mushrooms (at least)
1/2 c. Marsala Wine
2 tsp. Corn Starch
4 Chicken Cutlets

Wash and slice mushrooms. Wisk the melted butter, wine, and broth together.


Begin to heat the saute pan. While it is heating up, whisk the cornstarch into the sauce mix. It will not dissolve all the way. Don't worry too much about this. Just make sure you keep whisking and dont let it sit too long.


Place the mushrooms in the pan and begin to cook on medium high heat. After a few minutes, move the mushrooms around the pan perimeter and place the chicken in the middle. Sprinkle the basil on the chicken. I added salt and pepper as well. I also cooked two pieces at a time. Cook for 3-4 minutes before flipping the chicken.


After they flip, add the sauce and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is done.


The sauce came out really well. I personally overcooked the chicken a little but that is a personal fear I have about cooked chicken. I would never want to give my hubby uncooked chicken- right? But forget about uncooked chicken... how many calories are we talking?

We figured it out that I piece of chicken cutlet and about 1/2 c.- 3/4 c. sauce and mushrooms is about 230 calories. Yum!

Do you have any recipes that are delicious and healthy?

ps: Happy Leap Day! Did you know that having that extra day every 4 years helps to keep the seasons balanced? I learned that at work today. "The more you know..." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...